Black Ops: Aftermath
- This topic is empty.
November 23, 2010 at 1:16 am #15923
With what basically amounts to my entire friends list playing this I'm a little surprised that there isn't already a thread properly discussing people's reactions. This series normally brings out the most vocal members!
I'm interested to hear how people feel about it after the massive build-up and hype. Blown away or let down? (And lets have a first on a COD thread and try and keep things civil)
I, for one, was seriously underwhelmed. I was never the biggest fan of the series but I thoroughly enjoyed MW2 and was hoping for the same kind of experience. Unfortunately, what I got was the exact same experience. Barely out of the packaging and I felt like I'd already completed the game it was so familiar.
Now I understand there is the “if it ain't broke, don't fix it” factor but I don't think that's good enough when we're getting new CODs so frequently. A mechanic that was a novelty in one game is boring in a second. Slow-motion breaches? Scripted QTEs? At this stage it's been there, done that, show me something new. I had the same problems with MOH. Trying to re-invigorate the IP by doing what everyone else had already done…
And also like MOH, BO is horribly scripted and linear. The game took me by the hand and walked me through step-by-step. When was that ever interesting? I don't appreciate having enemies that don't die until they've reached their allocated spot. Once or twice to play out a part of the story is fine but after that I want people to die when I feel like shooting them.
And the scripting also makes a mess of the AI for my allies. I'm currently playing on veteran and I've lost count of the amount of times Woods and co have run past enemies or blatantly stood beside them while they've gunned me down! I know on veteran they're supposed to be all but ineffective but they could at least crouch behind a barrier to let me know it's still not safe.
One of my main gripes with MOH was the feebleness of the guns, and BO has the exact same issue. The gunfire is muted and hollow and the weapon feels weightless on the screen (even though it must weigh a tonne because I can only run for about ten yards!). It is not hard to get this right. DICE nailed it three years ago and nobody else seems to want to catch up.
And, let's face it, the graphics are not up to scratch. Games like Far Cry 2 and Killzone 2 piss all over what's on offer here. A door or a wall shouldn't look awesome at ten yards and the like pixillated porridge up close. Games have moved beyond that. Mind you, some levels (Victor Charlie especially) did look quality. Others were buttered with bland.
I'm hoping Dead Ops will redeem this game for me. I haven't tried it properly yet but it's what I was looking forward to most. Co-op is always made if win.
I know some people are of the opinion that COD is all about the MP (I haven't tried it, COD's MP style doesn't appeal to me) but it's not good enough for Treyarch to put all their effort into one part of the game and tag on the other. When I'm paying full price I expect a full game.
Once again, I've unwittingly penned an essay (I always seem to go on for ages when I'm bitching!) but obviously I didn't intend it as a proper review of the game as I've only really played a third of it. But I know that some of you guys have already got the plat and are still playing so lets hear what you think.November 23, 2010 at 2:53 am #68093RKF95Member
Im really liking it, but i do have 2 agree that the allie AI is just soooo fkin useless and the infinant respond areas (Executive order n SOG) were pretty shitty and WTF is up with these trophy glitches, it worked fine 4 me but if i would have 2 play those 2 missions again i would be beyond pissed. But other then those 3 probs its pretty good, online is fun n addictve and who dont like zombiesNovember 23, 2010 at 3:46 am #68094Ratchet525Member
Mw2 wasn't one of my favorite games. Online was broken, story mode was ok but too short (the story sucked like always), and spec ops was bad. Almost a year later, I get Black Ops (with low expectations) and I have to say that this is the best CoD out right now. Its not perfect, but its still really good.
I thought the story was really good for the CoD series and I'm glad they had REAL cutscenes and that you're able to see how your character looks like! However, the AI is still dumb as fcuk and those infinite spawning things are a pain in the ass on Veteran. Overall I was impressed with the story.
The online. This is what blows Mw2's shit-stain online out of the water. The online is perfectly balanced in my opinion and the customization is incredible (although I wish you can customize gun camos and face paints). However, the party system sucks and there are a few minor glitches in game, like the perks changing on screen due to a host migration issue. Overall, I'm glad that the online is at least better than Mw2's crap and I would choose Nazi Zombies over Spec Ops just because its 10x funner.
Overall, I think that Black Ops is a great addition to the CoD series and I'm very pleased with it.November 23, 2010 at 4:36 am #68095gr8jrfanMember
I agree with what ratchet said. I havent been playing it recently due to AC Brotherhood and Sly Collection. Your “reveiw” seems kind of harsh 1773. I thought that vet was easy except for Executive Order. SOG is very easy if you know the trick.November 23, 2010 at 8:45 am #68097
It is a tad on the negative side all right. But I think that's just because I was expecting a lot more from the game. It was set to be the biggest selling game ever and with the phenomenal hype leading up to it I just think it should have done a Hell of a lot more. It disappointed me in exactly the same way MOH did. I just think that with games like Borderland and Fallout showing us just how expansive an FPS can be (granted they had no MP to worry about) that it's a shame when they don't push the boundaries and try something new.November 23, 2010 at 1:35 pm #68098Antony19Member
Well i find black ops better than MW2 mainly beacause is more balance. Check on youtube how many glitches you can find about online ( none ). Also the zombie mode is inovating and i spend most of my time with it. So no hack no glitches and NO CAMPERS the perfect game for meNovember 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm #68100NinjacatMember
*awaits knoxies praise of the game*November 23, 2010 at 6:29 pm #68102Doc-BMember
*awaits knoxies praise of the game*
Lol… I prevented myself writing something like that when i saw this thread, knew someone wouldn't be able to resist though, haNovember 23, 2010 at 6:38 pm #68103Doc-BMember
I just think that with games like Borderland and Fallout showing us just how expansive an FPS can be (granted they had no MP to worry about) that it's a shame when they don't push the boundaries and try something new.
Borderlands has one of the best MP styles, IMO, and is something other games should take a long hard look at, and as for Fallout… Impressive game but glitchy as hellNovember 23, 2010 at 8:24 pm #68106kingofgames73Member
hmm, how to tackle this one….
- The guns generally look cool, and on mp, buying camos/attachments is a nice feature. (+3 Brownie Points)
- On MP, maps having various aspects that change is kinda cool (opening a door, launching a missile etc) (+1 Brownie Point)
- Zombies have returned, which i dont think many will complain about (+2 Brownie Points)
- the SP story has a nice ending (+2 brownie points)
- Rolling stones songs!(+4 brownie points)
- Addressing various things fans were bitching about, grenade launchers spawn kills, TI boosting, quick-scoping (+3 brownie points)
- The invite/party system, RANT ALERT, possibilty of profane language!, Ok Treyarch, 2 years ago you released WaW, were a large percentage of your customers could not connect to certain friends, for no reason whatsoever, internet connection was definetely not the case! Now you never bothered to patch this (in my opinion, game-breaking bug (i want to play with friends after all!)). And in a recent reveal you promised a more improved party system. well i cant comment on the party system as i cant join one! 2 years to fix this and you havent bothered, that is completely pathetic! I can connect to one friend in Canada but not to 5 friends i know personally whom are al no more than 16 miles away from me, its not my internet, i can play connect to all friends easily in every other game except for this, WaW and the odd rockstar game RANT OVER (-5 brownie points!)
- That `samey feeling`-WaW felt fresh from CoD4, it was more sinister, guns were more challenging to use, body bits flew everywher, MW2 felt different aswell, guns looked more solid (if plasticky feeling) etc. BO, to me just feels like MW2 with different guns/online maps, sure for fans thats not too bad, but i'd have liked a few changes here and there, like someone else said, BF and KZ guns/graphics were nailed first time, they felt solid. I was expecting something similar with BO, but the only gun i've noticed with a good feel to it is the pistols that small bit of rumble from the controller after sprinting makes a difference to me…..(-3 brownie points)
- The SP- Oh look shoot enemies, clear room, repeat, every now and then do some slow-mo breach or an escort mission. Call the game `black ops` yet forget to put in a full level resolving around stealth. (-2 brownie points)
- Theater mode-small thing that annoys me, why cant we upload these vids and pics to our HDD? that would have been much more better and convienent for myself, or is there an option and im just missing it?(+/-0 Brownie Points, would be tight to knock one off i guess)
- Pointless things not mentioned in story-the word `Sallly` is quite clearly etched into the guys gun in all trailers, but im sure the name is never once mentioned (-1 Brownie Point)
- AI-I recently started playing through the game in veteran, hoping i'd get the gold trophy which decided not to unlock last time around, however (small spoiler, on 2nd level, in white just incase, highlight to read) killing Castro and trying to escape the house, Woods glitched by a wall and wouldnt move, i had to restart the whole level, as i reached a checkpoint when this happened, i tried again, same thing, this happened 3 times before i finally escaped on the C-130. Also trophies not unlocking is a pain as well! (-2 Brownie Points)
- An eminem song on Zombies (-2 brownie Points)
Total Brownie Points-0, oh what a coinc-ci-dinc! In my opinion this means the game is average, nothing breathtaking, nothing new, and something that still needs more tlc from the producers. IMO if they'd released a open beta in november to get bugs etc, then released the game spring/summer, then it would have definetely been at its full potential!
EDIT: Should mention, these are just my opinions!
EDIT number 2: Yes, theres quite a few typos in there, but i cannot be bothered going through it just yet!November 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm #68107bubblefish67Member
well im enjoying and would give it 9/10
the campaign is great
zombies are back
and multiplayer isnt anything greatNovember 23, 2010 at 11:21 pm #68109XeroTheGreatMember
My opinion in a nutshell: Bad.
– Guns feel nice and responsive, and more badass.
– Story sounds promising (I've yet to complete it)
– Graphics are good.
– TERRIBLE (and worse) servers. Seriously pathetic, and there is no excuse for it – MW2 servers were fine.
– Invite system like WaW: Completely f**ked up. I can't connect to anyone of my friends, but for some reason i can connect to people the other side of the world. MW2 had this problem sorted out after WaW, but what a guess, Treyarch took a f**king step back again.
– Lack of wow factor. Yes the game is OK, but where the hell is that bit that makes you go 'Wow'?
– General gameplay still feels the same.November 24, 2010 at 3:28 am #68113Ratchet525Member
*awaits knoxies praise of the game*
lmao lukeNovember 24, 2010 at 11:04 am #68116tommyflopMember
Seriously I773 did you have a bad day at work or something? I'm not sure where you're coming from here. You bought a predominantly multiplayer game, admit you aint tried it yet cos it's style dont appeal to you then bash it's frankly very good single player and ask for this thread to remain civil. Do you have a decent tv cos most things “feel” good to me. I'm not having a go at you but you're just being plain negative. Yeah the party system sucks but you cant moan about that. Did you go thru the game staring at walls? SFW If they dont look good when your nose is touching them? If they gave the walls as much detail as you want your game would run seriously slow. Yeah dead ops is brilliant but if you're hoping it'll redeem a £40 game then you're asking a bit much. I agreed with what you said about moh but not this. I'd say it's redeeming feature is it's online, after all that's what most people buy it for. Yeah it has issues that most have documented but still enjoyable. If you cant play with friends then hey, you can always play with yourself and that's ALWAYS fun, lol.November 24, 2010 at 1:27 pm #68119
I work with the public Tommy so everyday is a bad day.
I understand what your saying about COD's main selling point being the MP but when I'm being charged the same price as games that manage to have excellent MP and SP then I expect a well-rounded game. And especially from COD. Treyarch knew that they were going to make a fortune with this game. It was always going to out-sell anything else released this year. They could have afforded to put more time and investment into the SP.
But I honestly can't see anything that suggests they bothered trying to push the series forward. They've stuck with the same formula as the last three games and I think that makes the faults even more unforgivable. I finished the campaign on Veteran last night and right down to the very end the same issues with AI and weaponry were bothering me.
And graphically the game has no excuses as other titles have managed to look far more polished without any issues with frame-rate. The last FPS I played through and enjoyed was Killzone 2 and that looked amazing, had no issues with my squad and the enemy being invisible to each other, and the guns felt like I was carrying Howitzers. (And I played both games on the same TV)
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.