How to Write a Somewhat Decent Trophy Guide.
Home › Forum › General Guide Talk › How to Write a Somewhat Decent Trophy Guide.
- This topic is empty.
October 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm #14941
First of all, the painfully obvious. Play the game before you attempt to write a guide. You look like an idiot otherwise. Now for the guide.
Before You Start:
1) Play the game through atleast once. Explore all features you can: This will give you basic knowledge for trophies that you haven't gotten yet. For Example: In shatter, you go through the first chapter two(i think) chapters to unlock the score bonus mode. It doesn't make sense for you to play the first chapter, and instantly think you have the knowledge for a guide.
2) Read some other guides: Read a guide with lots of praises. These praises mean the guide is good, and that it would be a great example to follow.
3) Refrain from using Leet Speak or text talk: Lol it not cool wen u tak liek dis u no?
4) Remember who you are writing for: You are writing this guide for another gamer who owns the game. You have everywhere from newbies to pros. You don't need to explain the controls to every single trophy. The person you are writing for has a general knowledge of the game.
In the Guide:
This section is from personal experience. This is NOT the only right way to do things. This is just the way I found easier personally. Just because there is more than one way to o it, doesn't mean you cant screw it up.
1) Proper capitalization: I think that most trophies are capitalized, and since you are writing a trophy guide, and you are listing the trophies from the game, yours should be too.
2) Trophy Names AND Descriptions: A description of a trophy, is a basic idea of what you need to do for it. You can, however, group trophies that are similar together. An example are the Katamari Forever Size Trophies. You could group those trophies together and make on big description.
3) Organization: I organized my guides by the how you get the trophies (single round, story modes, mini-games etc…) You can organize them that way, or trophy type (bronze, silver, gold), pretty much any way. But throwing them all on a guide in no specific order is generally misleading.
4) The guide: After the description of trophy/trophies, make sure you include an ATLEAST basic walkthrough to getting the trophies. It is a trophy guide, not a “look-at-a-trophy-list-then-restate-the-trophies”
1) Make sure you check your guides often to see if there are new questions or comments that you feel must be addressed.
2) Be honest with your answers: If you truly don't know, don't try to tell.
I wish to have any suggestions you fellow guide writers may have along with these tips.October 19, 2009 at 12:21 am #46727Ps3 FreakMember
Lol, Good idea… Couldnt think of a game to make a guide for so make a guide on how to make a guide, bit cheesey thoughOctober 19, 2009 at 12:40 am #46731
I have made two guides already, but sifting through some of the guides for my new games, I noticed they were terrible.October 19, 2009 at 12:48 am #46732MiiiitchMember
Pretty pointless topic as a majority of the guides on this site are of excellent quality, each person has there own way of setting them out. I’ve yet to see a guide on here that will need to follow your advice.October 19, 2009 at 2:42 am #46745
yeah like 99% of the guides on this site are top notch but maybe these tips will help someone who has no clue where to start at on making a guide. since everyone wants a chance to win a psn card lolOctober 19, 2009 at 4:03 am #46768Ratchet525Member
no need for this kinda stuff cause we're all elite..October 19, 2009 at 4:07 am #46769
everyone on this site pisses excellence lolOctober 19, 2009 at 1:05 pm #46782W4RG34R3D_SN1P3RMember
everyone on this site pisses excellence lol
What colour is it , i hope its blue , ive had that colour for some time now 🙁October 19, 2009 at 2:23 pm #46790
If you are already Uber1337 at writing guides, then remember that this is mainly for people attempting there first guide. However I saw a guide for a game(I think infamous or prototype) where the guy said hed never played it before.
Are we so cool that we eat TNT. Because then your urine is red.October 19, 2009 at 2:48 pm #46791
everyone on this site pisses excellence lol
What colour is it , i hope its blue , ive had that colour for some time now
blue you say? hmm interesting. are u radioactive? or been drinking nuka cola quantoms? lol
@ dgaustin it couldn't have sben someone on this site who said that. i did prototype and of course i played it a lot and ratchet did infamous and i'm sure he played it quite a lot too. but i think giving some tips for noobs is kinda cool.
would tnt really make ur piss red? i would think it'd be like green lol
gotta tip though. don't make the words all run together with no formatting in your guide. throw in some color or bold or underline or something to help distinguish the trophies from one another and to give the guide a cleaner more organized presentationOctober 19, 2009 at 8:56 pm #46830BigWoopMagazineMember
I'm not sure that I agree 99% of the guides on here a great. I've read a few where it really does seem like the trophy list was recopied, and just a description was written of what the requirements are to earn it, but no real advice on how to go about doing this. Like for the collectibles trophies, people write “find all the collectibles”. Well, where the f****NO PROFANE LANGUAGE PLEASE*** are they?! And then I have to question the ones that say something similar and “heres a link to a collectibles guide”. First off, do you have permission to use that guide within your own? And secondly, does that still count as writing a guide? Its more of a guide on how to find a guide. Then the other end of the perspective is that for some games, for the trophy guide to include all these details, it might as well be a full strategy guide for the game. So its a bit of a gray area, but this is something I've noticed… and no offense intended to anyone who has gone through the effort of writing something up, its certainly more than I've done.October 19, 2009 at 10:19 pm #46858
yeah i know some of them did look more like trophy lists but most of those were by nooobs and now i think they're mostly gone lol. oh and btw i had permission when i used links lol. but i do agree that it's best if the guide is 100% you. ppl not using someone elses collectibles guide.
but since you bring up problems you've seen in guides i have one. a lot of guide's don't have near enough details to help you get the trophy. way too vague. so ppl put a ton of details! but not enough to where ppl just say “f****NO PROFANE LANGUAGE PLEASE*** that! that's too much to read” lolOctober 27, 2009 at 2:48 pm #47477monkeymoobsMember
i think if your making the guide you have to have got platinum or at least the majority and the ones you have missed are obvious but take ages eg resistance 2 killl 10,000 enemiesOctober 27, 2009 at 8:21 pm #47746
or are just too annoying to do lol. like on prototype i made the guide but didn't complete the events. because they're too time consuming and annoying to finish lol. but it's true. you should have almost every trophy if not all to make a guide
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Comments are Closed